Butternut squash soup is one of my all time favorite foods, but this slow cooker version by Gimme Some Oven is simply the BEST. With nearly 300,000 pins on Pinterest, this recipe has become famous among home cooks around the world — and it’s no surprise why!
The slow cooker allows the flavors to develop on an entirely different level, but it’s the secret ingredient that truly turns the ordinary butternut squash soup into the EXTRAORDINARY.
So what’s the secret ingredient to this recipe that went insanely viral? A granny smith apple!
The sweetness of the apple and the subtle spiciness of the cayenne pepper creates a truly MAGICAL combination. However, if you’re not a big fan of cayenne you can simply adjust the spiciness accordingly. You will seriously love how easy this recipe is, but you’ll love its delicious flavors even more!
This recipe is a guaranteed keeper. It’s not only delicious, it’s also surprisingly healthy! Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is naturally gluten-free and vegan. You will LOVE how simple, savory and stress-free it is!
Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup:
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup canned (unsweetened) coconut milk
- optional garnishes: extra coconut milk and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika)
- Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large slow cooker. Toss to combine.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork. Remove and discard the sage. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.) Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed.
- Serve warm, with optional garnishes if desired.
NOTE: A medium-sized butternut squash should weigh around 2 lbs or so, or about 2 1/2 cups, (so you would need about 32 ounces if buying pre-cut butternut squash).
Recipe by Gimme Some Oven.
Looking for another easy and delicious soup to cook in your crockpot? Try our Chicken Enchilada Chili:
HELP YOUR FELLOW HOME COOKS BY SHARING THIS ARTICLE NOW!