Macaroni and cheese is the greatest match ever made — that’s an undeniable fact.
There’s not much in life I love more than a creamy, dreamy serving of macaroni and cheese. However, this recipe has a secret ingredient that’s a total game-changer — and it’s super easy to make too!
After years of searching for the BEST macaroni and cheese, I’ve finally found the winner. Nothing compares to this flavor-packed macaroni and cheese recipe!
So what’s the best way to take everybody’s favorite comfort food up a notch? Adding homemade pimento cheese — and it’s easy to see why.
FOR ALL MY FELLOW PIMENTO CHEESE HATERS: I know this might be unfathomable, but I promise it’s delicious with your mac and cheese! I’m not a pimento cheese fan either, but man — this Pimento Macaroni and Cheese is simply divine. Pimento cheese is a true Southern icon, and adding it to a timeless classic like mac and cheese will change your life.
Here’s how to make Pimento Macaroni and Cheese:
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 ounces pimentos, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 400°F|200°C. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, then drain and run under cold water.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour taste is gone, about 4 minutes, and the roux is blonde in color.
- Slowly whisk in the milk to your roux and add in the onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, garlic powder, mustard powder, and paprika. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes, then stir in the pimentos and cheeses. Cook until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth. Add in the hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake until the topping is crisp and the sauce is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Munchies.
Now watch how to make Southern Baked Mac and Cheese:
HELP YOUR FELLOW HOME COOKS BY SHARING THIS ARTICLE NOW!