It’s a SPECTACULAR DESSERT to impress everyone! You get luscious layers of sweetened cranberries, buttery pound cake, and homemade custard topped with a rich whipped cream. It’s a truly decadent and satisfying dessert that’ll get everyone talking!
Your preparation time is worth every minute to make this trifle that’s worthy of a 5-Star restaurant. It’s actually easier that you think and could be your new favorite trifle recipe. A special thanks to Holly at Spend With Pennies for this truly inspiring dessert!
The sweetened cranberries and custard are easily made from scratch (always better!), and you can choose your own preference of a pound cake or a soft white cake. The cranberry layer, cake, and custard can also be made 2 days ahead (not the whipped cream or sugared cranberries).
You’ll be proud of yourself for this spectacular and delicious dessert!
Easy-to-make sugared cranberries for your decoration on top!
Luscious layers of cranberries, cake, and custard topped with a rich whipped cream..
It will dazzle everyone.
HOW TO MAKE THE BERRY & CREAM TRIFLE
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (does not include cooling time)
- 24 oz fresh cranberries (2 packages)
- 1-1/2 Cups water
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⅓ Cups sugar
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- ¼ Tsp salt
- 4½ Cups 2% milk
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 loaf (16 oz) frozen pound cake, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 9×13 white cake, baked, cooled and cubed
- Combine all cranberry layer ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Discard cinnamon stick.
- While the cranberries are cooking..combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a separate large saucepan. Whisk in milk. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a boil, let boil 2 minutes while stirring.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs while whisking. Return the mixture to the sauce pan and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Let boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool in the saucepan for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour into a large bowl and place plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Place half of the cake cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl. Top with half of the cranberry mixture and half of the custard. Repeat layers.
- Top with chilled whipped cream and candied cranberries if desired.
- Remember, the cranberry layer, cake, and custard can also be made 2 days ahead (not the whipped cream or sugared cranberries).
- If you decide to make the homemade whipped cream recipe, this can be chilled, covered, for up to 24 hours.
- The sugared cranberries should be made at least 2 hours before serving.
Want Another Sweet Berry Recipe? Now Watch How To Make Mama’s Sweet Strawberry Cake!
Inspired by Spend With Pennies