These Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars are–literally–the best lemon dessert I have ever made!
They turned out so perfect and full of flavor, you will never care to make a plain lemon bar again!
The best part about it, they are crazy easy to make! I always thought making a cheesecake dessert was hard but no, not at all!
- 1 CUP Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 CUP Butter at room temperature
- 2 CUPS All purpose flour
- 8 Oz Cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 CUP Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Lemon zest divided
- 1/2 CUP Sugar
For the bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch square baking dish with foil and spray liberally with non stick cooking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer using paddle attachment, or large bowl with hand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add the flour (1/2 cup at a time) and mix just until dough comes together.
- Press half of the dough into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or medium bowl with a hand mixer beat together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp. of the lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling over cooled crust.
- Top filling with the remaining sugar cookie dough by simply crumbling it evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until cookie crumble is light golden in color.
- Top with remaining lemon zest as desired.
For the filling: