Do you love juicy, tender, flavorful meat? If so — you’re in for a succulent treat.
The first time I took a bite of Ropa Vieja, it earned the highly-coveted title of the best food I’ve ever eaten.
Ropa Vieja is Cuba’s designated “national dish” — and it’s easy to see why.
Ropa vieja, or “old clothes,” describes the shreds of juicy meat, peppers, and onions resembling a mess of colorful rags. As Cuba’s most beloved and popular dish, it’s a staple menu item at every Cuban restaurant — and its robust flavor will leave you wondering how you ever survived life without it.
After years of searching for the best way to satisfy my Ropa Vieja cravings, I finally found an easy way to devour it from the comfort of my home. I was so thankful to find this Crockpot Ropa Vieja recipe!
This effortless, delicious dish is guaranteed to become your new favorite comfort food. The slow cooker recipe allows the flavors to develop on a level you never even knew existed, and there’s a strong chance you’ll want to lick your plate clean afterwards — it’s that good.
Here’s how to make Crockpot Ropa Vieja:
- 1 (2 pound) beef chuck pot roast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large wedges
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into large wedges
- 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, or to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pierce the beef roast to tenderize it and let the flavors in, and place it into a slow cooker with the garlic, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow onions and sweet onions. Stir in the tomato paste and red wine vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, seasoned salt, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Cover, and cook on Low until the beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours. Remove beef, and shred into long strands using two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and combine with the vegetables.
- Cook on Low until the meat and vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by All Recipes.
Is your mouth officially watering now? Share this article to show your fellow crockpot lovers this GENIUS recipe! They’ll owe you forever.