It’s like a banana cake, carrot cake and pineapple upside-down cake all in one topped with cream cheese frosting! This rich and moist layer cake with pineapple, bananas, warm spices, rich cream cheese, and walnuts is so wonderfully delicious, it could be the best you’ll ever have. Add a little bourbon and coconut and it’s heavenly! I’m ready to eat!
Easy-to-make cake bars. Normally a double or triple layer cake, this single layer cake recipe gives you snack-able size cake bars with the same ultra moist texture and flavor in less amount of time. Perfect!
It’s the South’s favorite cake. It’s so popular that Hummingbird cake has become the most requested recipe in Southern Living’s history since first appearing in the magazine in 1978! With so much goodness in one cake, people still find it utterly irresistible! And perfect for feeding a crowd!
Did we mention the amazing cream cheese frosting?
Beautiful and delicious.
Rich and moist with pineapple, bananas, warm spices, walnuts and the frosting…
HOW TO MAKE HUMMINGBIRD CAKE BARS
Cook time: 18 minutes
Servings: 20 – 24
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs Bourbon
- 1/2 Cup crushed pineapple, don’t drain
- 1 ripe banana, well mashed
- 1/3 Cup chopped walnuts (plus extra for garnish, finely chopped)
- 1/4 Cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 5 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 Cups confectioner’s sugar
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- Set oven to 350F.
- Put the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer and toss to combine (you can also do this by hand, too). Mix in the egg, oil, and Bourbon.
- Blend in the pineapple, mashed banana, coconut, and walnuts. Mix just enough to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Spread the batter in a 7 1/2 x 11 1/4 greased brownie pan and bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out without wet batter clinging to it (moist crumbs are okay).
- Cool the cake before frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter with the cream cheese and then gradually beat in the sugar until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. Blend in the lemon juice and vanilla. Add more sugar if the frosting is too thin.
- Spread on the cooled cake, and top with more finely chopped walnuts. Store in the refrigerator to chill the frosting before serving.
- Hummingbird cake is normally a double or triple layer cake, so if you want to double the recipe using a larger 9×13 size pan, make sure to find a recipe with specific measurements for that size pan. Or, simply get an extra small cake or loaf pan and place any remaining batter in it after filling up your 9×13 pan.
Want Another Delicious Recipe? Now Watch How To Make Mama’s Sweet Strawberry Cake!
Inspired by The View From Great Island