There’s not much in life I love more than a juicy, savory burger. When I take that first bite of my beloved burger, it’s like entering the epitome of foodie heaven.
Unfortunately, those burgers aren’t exactly healthy.
Whether you’re looking for a way to cutback on calories, or whether you’re attempting to become a vegetarian — finding a healthy alternative to a classic hamburger is one of life’s most daunting challenges.
Since supermarket veggie burgers are normally expensive, I was ecstatic to find this PERFECT veggie burger recipe online!
DID YOU KNOW: Eating red meat hardens your blood vessels and increases your risk of type 2 diabetes. A recent study from Harvard School of Public Health also found an association with red meat consumption and increased risk of a shortened lifespan.
Thankfully, these veggie burgers are FULL of flavor — and the best part is they really come in handy for those nights you don’t want to cook!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGGIE BURGER EVER:
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce of hot sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. With a paper towel, gently pat the drained and rinsed black beans dry.
3. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
4. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion and garlic.
5. Squeeze the excess water out of the bell pepper, onion and garlic mixture. Then stir it into mashed black beans.
6. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
7. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
8. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
9. Serve and dress it up however you like.
The KEY to this life-changing recipe is not only drying the black beans, but also squeezing the excess water out of the pepper, onion, and garlic mixture. This recipe was inspired by All Recipes, and after reading some of the 2243 reviews — my hope for a delicious veggie burger was restored!
“You will never want to eat frozen veggie burgers again. These are so easy, and you’ll be proud to have created such a vegetarian delight.” – All Recipes
HELP YOUR FELLOW BURGER LOVERS BY SHARING THIS ARTICLE NOW!