Get ready to be overwhelmed by layers of immensely delicious chocolate! This Death By Chocolate Icebox Cake has layers of chocolate (6 of them!) from chocolate graham crackers, mousse and ganache, topped with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and chips. It’s everything chocolate that’s guaranteed to be a HIT!
It’s also one of the easiest desserts to put together. Really. And Lindsay at Life, Love and Sugar who created this masterpiece, says it’s so good you’ll be “in a chocolate coma after eating it.” Count me in!
It’s SO good you’ll want to keep eating it. It has an amazing chocolate flavor with each ingredient contrasting each other so well, assembled more like a lasagna, with the graham crackers giving it a flaky, delicious texture in between the layers. A 5-Star dessert that’s dangerous!
A 5-Star dessert with 6 layers of immensely delicious chocolate!
The best chocolate dessert you’ll ever taste!
HOW TO MAKE ‘DEATH BY CHOCOLATE’ ICEBOX CAKE
Yields: 9×13 cake
- 1 14.4 oz box of Chocolate Graham Crackers, whole form
- Chocolate sauce (Smucker’s Chocolate Sundae Syrup used in recipe)
- Mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 Tbs milk
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 8 oz Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream*)
- 11 oz (about 2 cups) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
To Make the Chocolate Mousse:
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and milk together in the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer. Mix until completely combined.
- Add cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
To Make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Place chocolate chips in a metal bowl.
- Microwave the heavy whipping cream until it starts to boil. Remove from microwave and pour over chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl with Saran Wrap for 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk chocolate and whipping cream until smooth.
To make the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- Freeze a metal bowl and a whisk (yes, really!) for 15-20 minutes to get them good and cold. It helps with the whipping process to have these items cold.
- Remove metal bowl and whisk from the freezer and add the heavy whipping cream.
- Whip on medium speed for a few minutes. Cream will initially bubble a little bit, then start to thicken.
- As the cream starts to thicken, add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.
Putting it all together:
- Place a single layer of graham crackers (whole form) in the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Top graham crackers with half of the mousse mixture and spread evenly.
- Spread half of the chocolate ganache on top of the mousse mixture and spread evenly.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the chocolate ganache
- Spread remaining mousse mixture on top of graham crackers.
- Pour remaining ganache on top of mousse mixture and spread evenly.
- Top ganache with one more layer of graham crackers.
- Top cake with chocolate whipped cream and spread into an even layer.
- Finish cake off with chocolate sauce and mini chocolate chips, if desired.
- If making homemade whipped cream, 1 1/4 cups whipping cream and 1/2 cup powdered sugar is recommended.
Want Another Chocolate Dessert Recipe? Now Watch How To Make Triple Chocolate Cake!
Inspired by lifeloveandsugar.com