It’s a melt-in-your-mouth classic Italian recipe with breaded and browned chicken cutlets baked in seasoned tomato sauce and topped with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for a truly appetizing, cheesy and flavorful meal your entire family will love! And it’s test kitchen-approved to guarantee an easy ‘go-to’ recipe favorite of yours! ‘Cause it’s dee-licious!
Only 10 minutes to prepare. For superior flavor, use freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and grated onion (not chopped), and homemade breadcrumbs provide a more satisfying texture and crunch. Also, chicken cutlets guarantee moist, tender chicken. No need to settle for less!
Serve them any way and whenever you like. Enjoy your chicken parmigiana with pasta with the remaining sauce, or with hot garlic bread, hot dinner rolls, or as a delicious sandwich on hoagie rolls! Have them for lunch, dinner, or at a party. They’re AMAZING!
“Wow! This is an amazing and very tasty chicken parmigiana recipe, I would definitely make again as well as recommend it and share it…OMG! Thought I was in an Italian restaurant. Very Delicious! Thank you for such simple, but yet tasty and delicious recipe.”
“I’m a guy that wanted to impress his fiancé, and it was my first time cooking her favorite dish. Turned out excellent and said it was the best chicken parmigiana she ever had. Guys, it’s fairly simple and easy and super delicious.” – Tim
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN PARMIGIANA
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3/4 Cup grated yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 4 chicken breast cutlets (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup seasoned breadcrumbs, (Italian Panko, or sandwich bread/stale French bread)
- 1 Cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or Parmesan Cheese)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced
- parsley (for garnish)
- On medium-high heat, sauté the grated onions for 2-3 minutes, then add the minced garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and sugar and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to continue simmering around 10-12 minutes while uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- You can purchase your chicken cutlets pre-made at your local store. If not, prepare them by placing each chicken piece between two layers of plastic wrap or wax paper and pound or roll the chicken pieces using a mallet or rolling pin until it reaches an even thickness of 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, 1/2 Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt. Then in a separate shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and dredge your chicken by dipping in the egg mix first, and then in the breadcrumb mixture until it’s fully covered.
- Brown the chicken cutlets first by heating 1/4 Cup of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat (not smoking), and place your breaded chicken into the pan. Gently brown over medium heat until golden brown on each side (3-4 minutes each side).
- In a 9×13 casserole pan or baking dish, pour the cooked sauce in and spread until it coats the bottom of the pan. Place the browned chicken cutlets over the sauce and top the chicken with basil and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle over with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the mozzarella begins to brown.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- To make easy breadcrumbs, pulse pieces of sandwich bread or stale French bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 8 pulses, then add some Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- You can also add 1 Tsp thyme to your sauce for added Italian flavor!
Want Another Delicious Italian Recipe? Now Watch How To Make Baked Pesto Chicken!
Inspired by Simply Recipes