Do you love gooey, cheesy casseroles? If so, we’ve got the most mouthwatering treat for you! With flavors so complex your tastebuds have a new higher standard and instructions so simple you don’t stress one bit, Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole qualifies as the ultimate crowd-pleaser.
Casseroles are the epitome of comfort food, and this genius recipe is proof.
Home cooks love Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole so much that they make it more than once a week! The leftovers taste amazing for days and days, but in all honesty, it’s so addictive that I doubt you’ll have any.
Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole has been described as tasting “just like a Chipotle burrito bowl,” but I have to disagree. I think it tastes even BETTER than Chipotle — and that’s not even the best part!
So what’s the BEST part about Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole? It’s surprisingly healthy! Since this recipe calls for quinoa instead of processed carbs that lack nutrients, it’s a guilt-free AND hassle-free way to satisfy your cheesy casserole cravings.
Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole is guaranteed to convert quinoa haters of all ages — it’s seriously THAT delicious.
Here’s how to make Mexican Chicken Quinoa Casserole:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large casserole dish (9×13-inch or similar) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 2 cups water and quinoa in a large saucepan, then bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large, deep sauté pan or pot, heat the olive oil over medium high. Add the onion and bell pepper, then sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Continue to sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, drained tomatoes and cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans, reserved quinoa, Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Top with remaining mozzarella and cheddar, then bake, uncovered until hot and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil, then continue cooking until the cheese is lightly browned, about 3-4 additional minutes, watching carefully so that the cheese does not burn. Let rest 5 minutes, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve.
Recipe by Well Plated.
Looking for a side dish to pair it with? Try our Southwest Cilantro-Lime Salad:
HELP YOUR FELLOW HOME COOKS BY SHARING THIS ARTICLE NOW!